Friday, June 22, 2018

Sarah Blasko- Depth Of Field Tour

Tonight at 170 Russell was the last show of Sarah Blasko's Australian tour in support of her latest album, the fantastic Depth Of Field. I ran into Oh Mercy's Alex Gow as I entered the venue, and he told me he is a distant cousin of the opening act Ryan Downey. The Melbourne singer-songwriter was accompanied by a band and I was impressed with his atmospheric songs and deep baritone voice. He finished the set with a cover of Eurythmics' "Love Is A Stranger."

The staging for the show was quite simple with large white letters spelling out BLASKO hanging in front of a black backdrop. For the first half of the set Sarah and her band (which included Donny Benet) played the entire Depth of Field album from start to finish. Highlights included "Phantom," "A Shot," "Never Let Me Go," "Heaven Sent" and "Read My Mind." If you are interested in learning more about the origins of the album I strongly recommend checking out the documentary Blasko, which covers Sarah's time as artist-in-residence at Sydney's Campbelltown Arts Centre.

Sarah was very playful on stage and danced around throughout the night. For the second half of the set she dipped into her back catalogue. We were treated to "I Am Ready" and "I Wanna Be Your Man" off her last album Eternal Return, "I Awake," "God-Fearing" and "Not Yet" from I Awake, and the As Day Follows Night tracks "All I Want" and "We Won't Run," which closed the main set. For the encore she did the beautiful "Down With Love" and finished the evening with "Without." Sarah continues to grow her sound with each album, and it was a pleasure as always to get to see her perform live again.

Here's the video for "Phantom"

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...