Wednesday, September 28, 2005

The Long Goodbye

Sunday was the big farewell party thrown in my honor by my parents. The theme was Australia, so we had Aussie beer and wine, lamb for dinner, and various bits of Australiana decorating the house. Guests were family and friends of both my parents and myself. It was a fun evening and nice to see my aunts, uncles and cousins. I would like to give thanks to everyone for coming and for all the kind wishes.



Monday was my last day of work. I have been substitute teaching at my old school since August. Various students of mine have come up to me over these past few weeks telling me that I can't leave and that they want to come in my suitcase. They have been very sweet- running up to me whenever they spotted me on campus. My favorite reaction was from Jonathan. He asked me if I was really moving to Australia, and when I said yes, his response was, "YIKES!" My co-workers, who I will miss terribly, gave me a beautiful clock engraved with my name on it. I'm going to do my best to keep in touch with the school, and maybe I can get a pen pal program going once I am employed.

Tonight I had dinner at the Glisson's house. I have known them forever since Lynne and I went to St. Raphael's Grammar School and my brother and Mikey played on soccer teams together. We had a yummy dinner and I helped Lynne and Mikey set up their iPods, which have sat in boxes since Christmas. At last they will get some use. The Glissons gave me a great photo book on San Francisco by Morton Beebe, who is the uncle of someone Lynne and I went to high school with. I will miss my evenings at the Glisson house watching reality tv and basically trashing the contestants. We always had a good laugh at their expense.

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...