Saturday, January 31, 2015

Beautiful Noise

Over the next two weekends ACMI is showing the documentary film Beautiful Noise, which tells the story of the UK shoegaze scene in the 1980s and 1990s. I was already planning to attend but managed to win a double pass from ACMI on Twitter this week for tonight's screening. There are many bands featured in the film, including the Cocteau Twins, The Jesus and Mary Chain, My Bloody Valentine, and a couple of my personal favorites with Lush and Ride. Having grown up during this period and also being a devotee of San Francisco alternative radio station Live 105 and MTV's 120 Minutes it was great to see and hear all these bands from my youth again. I feel fortunate to have lived through a genre that had gender equality and was so focused on the music. Seeing the film also made me wish I had my Cocteau Twins and Ride albums here to listen to (although I would have to track down a cassette player to play them on).

Here's the trailer for the film:

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...