Sunday, May 14, 2017

Eurovision 2017

I was up very early this morning to catch the Grand Final of the Eurovision Song Contest, which was held in Kiev (or Kyiv), Ukraine this year. Going with the theme "celebrate diversity" it was interesting that they decided to have three white males as the hosts. However, they did grow on me over the three days of the competition, and did a hilarious sketch with Mans Zelmerlow about learning how to be the perfect Eurovision host:


This year's contest didn't really have any songs that totally bowled me over like in previous years. I did really like the winning song from Portugal, Salvador Sobral's "Amar Pelos Dois" (written by his sister Luisa). It was a delicate, quiet performance that packed an emotional punch with a song that reminded me a bit of Antonio Carlos Jobim.


My favorite song for this year was Blanche (Belgium) with "City Lights." She may not be that animated a performer, but the song stands on its own.


I also liked Lucie Jones (United Kingdom) with the ballad "Never Give Up On You," which had the best staging of any song in the competition.


Australia was back once again this year with two contestants - Isaiah Firebrace as Australia's official entry with "Don't Come Easy," and Anja Nissen who sang for Denmark with "Where I Am."


No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...