Friday, June 30, 2006

I Survived My First Week

I have made it through my first week at the new job. Actually, it was only 3 days as I started officially on Wednesday. Everyone has been very nice to me and they are easing me into everything slowly. It's going to take me a bit of time to learn who everyone is and what policy areas they are working on. This office has more meetings than I have ever seen in my life- it's amazing that people get any work done! I am still waiting for my email account to be created (which I need so I can deal with the calendar on Outlook), and I should finally get my security pass on Monday. You can't travel through the buildings without one.

My main job is as executive assistant to the learning policies branch manager. I will be maintaining her calendar, organizing various meetings and doing minutes and other things as needed. I get to sit in on the meetings of all the group leaders in the branch, so I will get a good sense of what is going on. I also hope to get involved with various projects that the branch is doing and not get locked into being seen as just an administrative person. There is going to be a bit of a restructure of the branch, so it will be interesting to see how that plays out (don't worry- my job is safe). The biggest concern seems to be people losing their expertise areas and there being more "breadth than depth." We'll see what happens.

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...