Wednesday, January 21, 2009

The Inauguration of Barack Obama

I got up very early this morning (2:00 am) to watch the inauguration of the 44th President of the United States, Barack Obama. I have always enjoyed the ceremony of this day and being able to watch history in the making, which was especially the case this year. I first saw Obama speak at the 2004 Democratic National Convention and was absolutely amazed by his speech. I remember discussing it at work the next day with other people who had seen it and saying that this man could be President one day. Little did I know we would be so fortunate for it to happen this soon.

I thought Obama delivered a strong and inspiring address full of conviction and hope. I especially liked this quote:
And so, to all other peoples and governments who are watching today, from the grandest capitals to the small village where my father was born: know that America is a friend of each nation and every man, woman and child who seeks a future of peace and dignity, and we are ready to lead once more.
Leadership has been sorely lacking over the last eight years. I trust that although Obama has a huge task in front of him on both the domestic and international fronts, his intelligence, calm nature and desire to succeed will see the US and the world change for the better. I'm so excited to have this man as our President. It's not just the breaking down of racial barriers but also a generational shift in power. I wish the Obama Administration all the best over the next four years (and hopefully four more).

Obama's inauguration and address:

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...