Tuesday, November 06, 2012

Fave Albums: The Stone Roses - The Stone Roses


The next few choices in my fave albums series come out of the "Madchester" scene of the late 1980s/early 1990s.  I was never a raver, but I really liked a lot of the bands associated with this scene while in high school.  One of the key bands of the era was The Stone Roses, whose eponymous debut album came out in 1989.  The Jackson Pollock inspired cover artwork was done by guitarist John Squire.  His guitar playing is a highlight throughout the album, especially on the songs "Made Of Stone" and "I Am The Resurrection."  The music, along with Ian Brown's vocals, give the album a laid back and psychedelic feel, especially on "I Wanna Be Adored," "Waterfall," "Don't Stop" "Shoot You Down" and "Fools Gold."  There's also the more traditional British indie sound on the songs "She Bangs The Drums," "Elephant Stone" "Bye Bye Badman" and "(Song For My) Sugar Spun Sister."

Favorite Lyric: My aim is true, my message is clear, it's curtains for you Elizabeth my dear ("Elizabeth My Dear")

Favorite Song: "She Bangs The Drums"

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...